Alleged St George Bank fraudster out on bail

The former bank employee, charged with more than 100 offences, has been freed due to family concerns

Alleged St George Bank fraudster out on bail

A former St George bank employee who has been accused of masterminding an elaborate fraud syndicate has been freed on bail due to family concerns.

Sara Daizli, also known as Sara Diaz Sukkar, was first arrested in December last year as part of an investigation into alleged fraudulent activity, according to a report by The Australian. She was released on bail but re-arrested earlier this month and charged with an additional 112 offences.

Police said that Daizli used her position at St George Bank to open accounts in the names of fictitious people and steal hundreds of thousands of dollars. Police allege that Daizli continued the scam even after her first arrest and initial release. She is also charged with directing a criminal group, and three men allegedly involved with the fraud syndicate were arrested on the same day Daizli was taken back into custody.

On Tuesday, the NSW Supreme Court heard that the new charges against Daizli relate to allegations that on three occasions in April, she made fraudulent loan applications to ANZ and St George Bank, The Australian reported. In February, she allegedly accessed money that had previously been directed into her bank account under a phony name.

Daizli’s barrister, David Dalton, told the court that she intended to plead not guilty to all charges.

“The applicant can justify from legitimate sources all the funds that’s been suggested have gone through her accounts throughout the relevant period,” Dalton said.

Crown prosecutor Stephen Makin opposed Daizli’s bail application, saying he was concerned she would continue to offend, according to The Australian.

Read more: Former St George Bank staffer charged with over 100 fraud offences

Appearing via video link from Silverwater Correctional Centre, Daizli told the court her family was struggling while she was incarcerated.

Justice Julia Lonergan ruled that due to Daizli’s personal circumstances, ongoing detention would be unjustified. Lonergan pointed out that Daizli was unlikely to face trial until early 2023. She said the risk of reoffending could be minimised through strict bail conditions.

Diazli was released on conditions including that she offer a $550,000 surety and that two other people offer $1.05 million in surety if she fails to appear before the court, The Australian reported. She is also required to report to police every day and not contact any witnesses. She is barred from contacting any financial institution for the purpose of getting a loan.

LATEST NEWS