Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Legal Abuse Syndrome and Foreclosure Fraud

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 22 Jul 2012, 09:16 PM Agree 0
Until a client sent us a clipping today, I had never heard the term “Legal Abuse Syndrome.” If you look in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, you won’t find the term. Not Yet. The DSM is the official “blue book” used by mental health professionals. Whereas many of the CEOs of major banks and lenders probably qualify as sociopaths, we now have a title for those suffering from their heavy-handed tactics.
  • William Matz | | 23 Jul 2012, 05:45 PM Agree 0
    This article is right on target. I am a 30-yr CA atty who is spending more and more time working with troubled borrowers because of my extensive background in the mortgage system.

Among other illegal activities I have personally seen are foreclosures despite payment by cashier's check of the entire delinquency, collection actions for mortgage balances even tho' barred by law, deliberate deception in mortgage mod process, repeated last minute postponements of foreclosures, foreclosures without notice, erroneous posting of foreclosure sale notices, and many more.

Anecdotal evidence from inside banks suggests that banks are giving no heed to the devastation to borrowers and communities by banks' rush to foreclosure.

In addition to the disorder described above, there is a risk that those assisting borrowers will themselves become victims of vicarious PTSD, from dealing with the constant barrage of negative emotions of the homeowners.
  • Dr. Karin Huffer | | 24 Jul 2012, 07:48 AM Agree 0
    Congress gave us the rarely used ADAAA that helps to ensure fair hearings. Legal Abuse Syndrome is PTSD and qualifies under this law. Unlocking Justice at www.equalaccessadvocates.com tells how.
  • Martin Andelman | | 24 Jul 2012, 01:11 PM Agree 0
    I thought you might be interested in the piece I wrote in October of 2011, on this topic:
    http://mandelman.ml-implode.com/2011/10/are-homeowners-suffering-from-las-%E2%80%93-legal-abuse-syndrome/
  • Lynn | | 24 Jul 2012, 04:50 PM Agree 0
    Well here is a homeowner is suffering from this abuse. I am a Disabled Veteran who is losing her home to a justice system with a judge who illegally gave our home to mellon bank who has no right to it.

They all made me worse, I served my country and now it is failing me. I have tired every where to get help and can't get any. I paid this one lawyer who did not know me or even had one meeting with me. He also helped in losing our home.

And the judge asked if we were together, so many violations it is amazing. The legal system is harsh on gays & lesbians and I told that useless attorney about my concerns going to court and what would happened, he had a hard time in dealing with two women. Please, please help....

So who is going to help me in this country, who cares, my partner is also a Veteran and we are about to be homeless because of the fraud and mellon collecting more money when they already have been paid.

I want to sue the courts, the lawyer I had, mellon's lawyer, and the judge. They all violated my civil rights and the disability rights... I also have a learning disability dyslexia....

I have no clue now, it is too late to mortgage modification because I tired when all this first started, tired to talk to mellon, nothing. Our mortgage should be voided and we should receive damages, emotional and otherwise.

Mellon's lawyer asked me during a deposition what my disability was and I said none of your business, she had no right to ask that and it is no where to be found in the transcript, she was a lone in the room with the court reporter and they will stop at nothing. I am telling the truth on that and everything else.

The lawyer we fired, said he believed the mortgage broker more, reading the transcript I can point out a ton of lies, and his ums he used when he lied, not one in my transcript. he lied about my income by a lot, I told him 2500.00 to 3500.00, he put 8500.00. I gave my tax returns, and 1099's, insurance agent and when the boss I had stole over 20,000.00 in commissions of course we were going to default, the judge didn't care.

The judge wrote a 44 page document on June 20 for a June 22 Summary Judgment hearing, which totally favors mellon. No trial, no mediation, no anything, no justice, no say. He based our case on another that had nothing to do with ours and said they were the same, no different trusts, different years, different mortgage broker. Also, Camden County is suing the superior court of NJ for abuse and another judge got a case handed back because of being harsh on the homeowner.

They have made me worse, high anxiety, worse PTSD, Depression, blood pressure, IBS...

So, tell me what can we do to save our home. Countrywide, to BOA, and then got sued by bank of new york mellon, whom we never knew had anything to do with our mortgage. The judge said that Countrywide had standards and did nothing wrong and mellon produced the note and it was a proper service. No it wasn't, because it was no attached and they only had my name on the complaint and didn't serve my partner any papers.
  • Lorraine | | 25 Jul 2012, 06:33 PM Agree 0
    Lynn,

I am so sorry you are going through this.

I don't know if you have ever heard of AFNetwork.org. It is a group of people who are going through the same problems as you are, battling the banks. They offer support and resources to fight back. There are a few I know of in the group that have the same "mortgage" company as you, and are also being foreclosed on by Mellon.

I have been involved with this group for a couple of years and I can tell you they are genuine and not out to make a buck. They are just ordinary people like us trying to make a stand.

In order to help defer costs, the group has just recently started offered a $5 per month membership fee which will give you access to a ton of resources as well as a weekly telephone conference call and a monthly meeting. There is no pressure to join the group. There is a lot of information that you can access without becoming a member and you can see what kind of resources are offered.

Please check out the web site to see if it is something that could be of help to you, if nothing more than to give you some emotional support. If you have any questions you can email john@afnetwork.org. I'm sure you will find him more than willing to help.
  • Brenda Ward | | 04 Aug 2012, 11:48 AM Agree 0
    Thank your for your courage. I pray someone help us, I feel like I'm going to die and nothing still nothing done to stop this illegal government cartel legalizing crimes.

Everyday is a nightmare. Put in and out of foreclosure since 2002, all payments were made. They just freely rob the escrow account and paid themselves with my money, etc.

We should now be going after the judges as well.

I don't undersand, is this tyranny! ? How can government officials not uphold the law and nothing is done?
  • Top 10 list | | 10 Oct 2012, 12:56 PM Agree 0
    Here at TalkToEU, we're conducting our own scientific experiment to celebrate Dublin City of Science 2012. We're planning to launch a weather ballon to the edge of space to prove Boyles Law. We're also giving you the chance have your tweets displayed from the edge of space. Find out more here: That's Gas Tweets in Space.
  • Wholesale Bakery Supplies | | 11 Oct 2012, 06:15 AM Agree 0
    Unfortunately, foreclosure frauds have become a reality that is affecting the real estate market. Some strong measures should be taken to protect the interests of property buyers.
  • Christmas Events London | | 31 Oct 2012, 04:38 AM Agree 0
    This has been on the up recently. It is becoming extremely hard to get rid of fraud especially within the real estate market. I had a friend that bought a place in Greece and spent over £80k with solicitors to secure the place. Then when they went to visit the building they had change the locks and said the landlord no longer wanted to sell it. They lost £80,000.

Now surely, something could be done about this?

Many thanks,

Marc
  • Batman Coloring Pages | | 04 Feb 2013, 04:32 AM Agree 0
    @Marc, we live in a society where suing other's is on the rise. Many people actually believe it has become part of our culture now, and one of the major issue's is we have bank's that only want to lend to investors, and then we have a government in power that has no backbone.

"Where have all the good men gone" I am sure there was a song about this!

KA
Post a reply