NAR Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers: For-Sale-by-Owner (FSBO) Sellers
- The share of home sellers who sold their home without the assistance of a real estate agent was 10 percent. Forty percent of those sellers knew the buyer prior to home purchase.
- The primary reason that sellers choose to sell their home without the assistance of a real estate agent to a buyer they did not know was that they did not want to pay a fee or commission (37 percent).
- More than one-third of FSBO sellers took no action to market their home, and 59 percent did not offer any incentives to attract buyers.
- The typical FSBO home sold for $150,000 compared to $215,000 among agent-assisted home sales.
- For more information from the