Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Student Loans burden Potential First-Time Home Buyers

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 05 Mar 2013, 09:11 AM Agree 0
As unpaid student mortgages in the United States pile up and become delinquent, economists are concerned that would-be young homeowners are getting left out of the housing market.
  • Harry Mehlman | | 06 Mar 2013, 09:17 AM Agree 0
    “... if not for their pesky student mortgages." Well, no one forced them to take those "pesky mortgages". Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the whole Higher Education program. Maybe, just maybe, colleges and universities should consider the priority of teaching their students information they can use in real life after they graduate. Maybe they should back off from buying Golf Resorts (like they do in New Jersey) and put off buying Art. Maybe they should mention to their students the likelihood of finding a job in their major course of study... you know, so they can have an income to pay off those "pesky mortgages". Time to start realizing that many times Higher Education benefits the colleges and the professors, not necessarily the student.
  • dan mchugh | | 06 Mar 2013, 04:01 PM Agree 0
    Harry if you didnt know it I will tell you. Before Ronald Reagan got into office in california it would cost a student roughly 20% of tutition and the state would pick up the other 80% by the time Reagen left office to become President the tables had turned State 20% and student 80%. The next thing you know he applied the same formula to schools nationwide.. You know "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" this was his DAMAGE he did to all of us and we didnt think anything of it TILL NOW!!!! You now have the highest student debt in the nations history. Yes we could have done it differently but no we actually re-elected this guy. He took the middle class and DESTROYED IT!!! Then W came in to finish it off. However as usual there was a Democrat there to bail the middle class out. Yet you still have the empty headed bufoons still insisting that there arent enough cuts to the middle class and the poor. They are looking to cut even more than the sequester because apparently the only sector of the U.S. that deserves a break from the cuts the sequester would bring is the military. Apparently the 2 trillion over the last 10 years just wasnt enough.....
  • howard | | 06 Mar 2013, 10:27 PM Agree 0
    well said Dan Mchugh, I remember how realitivity inexpensive it was to go to a fairly good college or university and not be in debt up to our ears. We need to remember that in this country we do higher education well and the rest of the world knows it and wants to come here. When China graduates around 350k engineers and scientists per year and India has around 150k per year and then we come to our country which only graduates around 75k per year, it doesn't take a college graduate to figure out who will eventually end up on top. Incidently the students who come from abroad can add much to our society and economy but when they graduate after 4 years they are invited to leave as we have a poor imigration policy.
Post a reply