Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

You can't empower if you're micromanaging

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 31 Jul 2014, 07:47 AM Agree 0
In order to get the results you need to see your business grow, your people need to feel liberated to make the best decisions possible on a day-to-day basis
  • | | 31 Jul 2014, 10:15 AM Agree 0
    This is obviously and ideal and great point but the problem I see and others in leadship roles as well see in this industry is when you delegate responsibilities and "get out of their way" as we'd all like to, this industry has caused such a scare or timidness for people to make any type of the most minute mistakes because of mountains being turned into mole hills that they are scared to make any decisions for themselves even though you encourage it and then you are in a vicious cycle of them coming to you for every little issue to get your "approval" for their solution or they want you to give the solution to "pass the buck". This is not an efficient way to run a business and you find yourself always working in and on files versus improving the overall business and getting new business in the door. This is the same for new LO's, Processors, assistants etc as it relates to handling actual parts of the transaction.
  • DA | | 01 Aug 2014, 11:21 AM Agree 0
    The point was hiring 'good' people and getting out of their way. Not hiring inept people. But the other thing is a good leader assesses training needs all the time. When new people are hired likely there will be some training needs. A good leader provides the training either through a mentoring process or through actual classes. People who are allowed some room for growth, will make mistakes. It is how the leader responds to those mistakes that will make or break his system of management. Making mountains out of molehills never works. I knew a manager once who said 'If you aren't making mistakes, you aren't working.' In other words he didn't expect 100% perfection and a 0% error rate. Stuff happens, mistakes are made, fix it and move on. That goes along with style being discussed in the article.
Post a reply