Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Yet more allegations of racism, sexism at CFPB

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 03 Sep 2014, 08:17 AM Agree 0
The CFPB continues to come under fire for what is coming to seem more and more like a systemic culture of racial and gender discrimination
  • | | 03 Sep 2014, 09:46 AM Agree 0
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." - John Dalberg-Acton
  • BSA Officer | | 03 Sep 2014, 10:54 AM Agree 0
    Disolve the CFPB! This is what happens when too much power is given to inexperienced people.
  • CAB | | 03 Sep 2014, 02:18 PM Agree 0
    CFPB Director Richard Cordray claims that agency managers now receive “considerably more” training in the workplace than they had before.

“What I've come to see frankly is I don't think we did enough of that in the beginning,” he said in testimony last month. “It was frankly probably an oversight of the bureau and just kind of reflective of the start-up phase, perhaps, but it hurt us, I think, a great deal in various respects.”

Really? What about basic human compassion and morality? This has to be 'trained'?
  • Lauren G | | 03 Sep 2014, 04:48 PM Agree 0
    Um, so what's 'new' here, Mr. Smith? This story is like an echo chamber, where the same anecdotes get rehashed over and over, and then each rehashing is then reported as 'yet more' mistreatment. To my counting, exactly 3 employees have testified that they were mistreated, and rumor is that they were all on performance plans. So how is this different than any other federal or private sector organization, where some employees are inevitably unhappy? It does appear that CFPB has some personnel improvements to make, but the larger narrative is beginning to smell like political spin.
  • | | 04 Sep 2014, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    Indeed; nothing will change until such time when the Director punishes and/or fires the managers responsible.
  • Angela Martin, current CFPB employee | | 04 Sep 2014, 11:44 AM Agree 1
    Lauren G: I have watched your posts for a long time but have said nothing in the face of all the defaming lies you have posted on the various news outlets. I am Angela Martin, yes, THAT Angela Martin. I was never on a performance improvement plan - in my entire federal career - and have never received a negative written counseling, even to this day. In my prior federal service in the Department of the Army I received the highest ratings of 5 always. Even at the Bureau, my 2012 overall rating was a 4 out of 5. I did not receive a rating in 2013 at all but it is true that after I came forward and asserted my rights my then-supervisor gave me 6 "unacceptables" in a mid-year review (1-rating equivalent) and he also took my job away on the spot, without the necessary PIP or counseling. I hope this clarifies things for you. Let's all speak the truth or be quiet. Stop publishing "rumors." The noise adds nothing and takes away a great deal from otherwise profitable discussions. You don't have to agree with me - many don't. But at least please stop lying about me.
  • Justice | | 04 Sep 2014, 12:12 PM Agree 1
    To Lauren: The "political Spin" is clearly on the side of the CFPB and the Administration. If any company in the private sector, state government or local government acted in the same manner, the DOJ would be knocking at their door within days. Why hasn't the President spoken on this? Just this morning the DOJ announced they were opening a second investigation in Ferguson, MO. Now they're investigating the hiring practices within the PD. The issue with the CFPB is far worse and has been known for some time. Where is Eric Holder?
  • JULIE | | 04 Sep 2014, 03:07 PM Agree 1
    YOU GO, ANGELA MARTIN!
  • Poster | | 05 Sep 2014, 12:28 AM Agree 0
    I work as a Counsel for a Cabinet level agency (I hold a senior role) and my wife works at the CFPB. She told me first hand that over 200 grievances were filed by employees in a span of only 8 months. They can't be all be on performance plans. The reality is the CFPB is being horribly mismanaged and there is no accountability for the offending managers. The complaints should never have made it to the press and the congressional level. In any normal work environment, the complaints would have been handled in a timely way. Seems to me that the senior management is bent on destroying the CFPB's reputation. It's sad because this agency had so much promise.
Post a reply