Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Top originator: Honesty, integrity and consistency secret to success

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 17 Jan 2014, 04:59 AM Agree 0
Guaranteed Rate’s top producer for four years in a row credits old-fashioned hard work for his success
  • Wm Matz | | 17 Jan 2014, 10:13 AM Agree 0
    So long as we continue to judge originators solely by volume mortgage origination will continue to be merely another sales job versus a financial profession. Home mortgages need to be part of a financial planning process in which a QUALIFIED originator can be a valuable member of the team. A low-margin, high-volume originator is unlikely to fill that role.
  • DGjeldum | | 21 Jan 2014, 07:18 AM Agree 0
    Mr. Matz - I would encourage you think better before you throw around generalizations. You haven't met a better originator or someone who cares for his clients more than Shimmy. He is overly qualified and an extremely valuable member of his clients' and referral partners' teams. It sounds more like you're jealous of how someone can do production like he can and still deliver high quality service and gain multiple referrals.
  • BBurns | | 21 Jan 2014, 11:07 AM Agree 0
    Mr. Matz, does a low margin mortgage not help the client out in their long term financial goals? Low Margin means low rates. Low rates and cost allow a client to save more. I believe a truly "QUALIFIED" mortgage officer should work with the goal in mind of low margin and high volume. The high volume simply shows you how great of a mortgage officer Mr. Braun has been and will continue to be.
  • Wm Matz | | 21 Jan 2014, 03:04 PM Agree 0
    Mr. Gjeldum, you misunderstand my criticism. I deplore the consistent theme of articles that universally equate high volume with quality origination. That is not a criticism of Mr. Braun, just the theme of the article.

Mr. Burns, your premise is flawed. Low margin does not necessarily mean lower cost to the borrower. In order to achieve high volume, originators may choose to use pricier, easier lenders, such that the net price to the borrower is higher. That is why so many originators rushed to Option ARMs; they could generate high volumes with minimal effort. But all that volume turned out to be a disaster for the borrowers and the country.

Let me reiterate, none of this is a criticism of Mr. Braun's mortgages, as I have no knowledge of his mortgage quality. I only suggest that the high volume approach tends to reinforce the commoditization of home mortgages. There is simply not the time to do detailed financial planning necessary to determine optimum mortgage strategies.

In my view mortgages can only be done properly in the context of a financial plan, working collaboratively with other financial advisors to ensure that the mortgage strategy advances an overall financial plan and is not done in isolation, where mortgages may actually work at cross-purposes. That is why the mortgages that I originate in my mortgage practice are almost exclusively for clients referred by attorneys, CPAs, CFPs, etc. They appreciate that they have an originator who can speak their languages and work collaboratively to create unified approaches.

Sure, my approach is unusual. And it demands a much higher level of education and training for originators. But history suggests that our nation would be far better served following my approach, rather than the sales-focused approach that continues to prevail.
  • Ray Martinez | | 13 Feb 2014, 10:37 PM Agree 0
    Yes awesome job on this accomplishment!
    Inspiration for most to work hard and give back!
Post a reply