Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

State bill to protect seniors on reverse mortgages

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 16 Jun 2015, 09:00 AM Agree 0
Another chapter of the reverse mortgages saga has been added, with one state legislature passing a bill designed to protect seniors with a “cooling-off period.”
  • Sam | | 16 Jun 2015, 09:51 AM Agree 0
    So the mandated class they took, and the 5 lbs of papers they signed didn't enlighten them enough? I have no issue with added education, no one should take nor receive a mortgage not in their interest or desire, but the pouring on of continue regulation is simply an added expense to the consumer. This is what politicians cannot grasp.
  • Jeff | | 16 Jun 2015, 10:48 AM Agree 0
    Why do certain politicians treat the elderly as though they are mentally deficient?
    Politicians sit in a large historic building and control our lives without understanding a thing about what they are doing.
    The goal is to be in charge of everyone's lives because we are all idiots. I opine that it is the politicians who are idiots.
    More paperwork=less disclosure. It sounds counter-intuitive but the more anyone has to read and understand the less they read and understand. It's just too much paperwork so by page 5 they just sign and quit reading. Counseling is a good idea, but wait, we already have that.
  • Craig A. Sjodin | | 16 Jun 2015, 11:46 AM Agree 0
    The only person that would say that the elderly are not disclosed to are the people that are speaking and have never sat through a Counseling session to know what is discussed and takes an average of 1 to 1.5 hours to go through and have the applicant answer questions being asked by the counselor to verify that they understand the terms and responsibilities of taking on a Reverse Mortgage. To make the counseling session longer would only dilute the importance of understanding the exact responsibilities required by the borrower.

Craig A. Sjodin
    Mortgage Loan Officer
Post a reply