Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Senate goes nuclear

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 21 Nov 2013, 02:26 PM Agree 0
In a party-line vote, the Senate has invoked the "nuclear option," ending Republicans' ability to filibuster presidential nominees.
  • Bob Gillespie | | 21 Nov 2013, 02:39 PM Agree 0
    It's about time that some sanity returns to The Senate. Majority Rule will eliminate the playground bully. Long way to go to reach 'The Voice of Reason', but a positive step taken today.
  • John C Durham | | 21 Nov 2013, 02:43 PM Agree 0
    Hardly a Nuclear option. More like clearing the logjam away to allow election results to quickly take effect. Can't believe the Democrats did something simple and effective. How unlike them to do that.

It will be wonderful when the Republican and Democratic Parties both are replaced REAL republican and democratic parties, whatever the name of the parties might be.

I suggest the Constitutional Democratic Party. Or, the Democratic Constitutional Republic Party. Anything along these lines. Just like the "ring" those words seem to have...
  • Viva la Revolucion | | 21 Nov 2013, 02:46 PM Agree 0
    Once again, earning it's nickname as the world's most shameful, deliberative body. Libs love to hide behind the constitution when it benefits them, and trample and disregard it when it doesn't. What comes around goes around, and when it does will the main stream media cover it the same? Sorry I even bothered to ask such a ridiculous question.
  • Lynn McKnight | | 21 Nov 2013, 02:57 PM Agree 0
    It's about time!
  • John | | 21 Nov 2013, 03:07 PM Agree 0
    I bet this guy has as much business background as, what's her name, Sebilius? Not to mention the lack of a mortgage background.

More of the same from the current administration. Another political hack to carry the water. No doubt, we'll get the same results as we're currently experiencing with healthcare.
  • John Deleva | | 21 Nov 2013, 03:09 PM Agree 0
    As a moderate and an admirer of Senate traditions I am disappointed in the use of the "nuclear option". No tradition should carry on solely for the sake of tradition, in the case of the filibuster the tradition has not only historical lineage but correct and practical purpose. The late Senator Robert Byrd Democrat from WV would be horrified at the prospect of such a change in senate rules. The Democrats in the senate seem to hold nothing above their partisan agenda. This is not to say the Democrats did not have cause for frustration. The Republicans did too often for their own partisan agenda use the filibuster in the case of presidential appointments for no other reason than to obstruct, this seems clear. Changing the long and well crafted rules of the senate was not the answer and will only serve to further don't blow things up to get your way, you patiently work with others to get them to see your way, if not today maybe tomorrow...what a shame!
  • Nazeli Kerkorian | | 21 Nov 2013, 03:13 PM Agree 0
    GREAT!! LET'S PASS HARP 3.0!!!
  • A Slippery Slope | | 21 Nov 2013, 04:20 PM Agree 0
    Playground bullying...that is exactly what happened here. By controlling the Senate, the bullies changed the rules to benefit them most. Eliminating the checks and balances established is the beginning of what could be a slippery slope. What's next? You know that the Republicans will retaliate somehow and this type of behavior will escalate. Less time spent on drafting meaningful legislation and more time plotting on how to disrupt the other party.

Suggestion: Next election - Vote out the incumbent. Teach both sides of the house that the government will either represent the people or they will not represent anyone at all. It has been quite a long time that this nation has actually been represented by the "people" vs a bunch of self indulgent millionaires who write laws for "us" but give themselves benefits far beyond anything afforded to the people.

We have the real control of who is in Washington. Take back our government!
  • M Scott | | 21 Nov 2013, 05:10 PM Agree 0
    I agree with you, John Deleva! It seems that each party simply changes the rules to achieve what they want and not on what the two parties can agree on. What happened to negotiations where each party had to give and take on each side to come up with results that everyone could live with? I am disgusted with both parties temper tantrums, hold my breath fits, and make my own rules or take my ball and go home attitudes. Get it together and make decisions that are best for our falling apart country! Thinking only of today's agenda is going to cause more issues down the road -think of our future generations and the legacy we leave. Bring back ethics, morals, and concern for the general public as a whole that our religious ancestors cherished and that has gotten lost along the way with many of the religious views that held our country together as well.
  • Ben Thompson | | 21 Nov 2013, 05:45 PM Agree 0
    Good Job Democrats, There is more than one way to skin a cat.
  • Freedom Fighter | | 22 Nov 2013, 07:57 AM Agree 0
    I normally keep quiet but I must comment to explain to John Durham that there were not any elections involved or being held up but these are positions appointed by the president that need Senate approval. Did previous Republican run Senates change the rules to benefit them when things didn't go there way. The rules have been in place since the 19th century but clearly this administration and his followers are looking to change the rules to benefit them at whatever cost. I agree with Slippery slope, we need to stand up at the voting booth and spread the word not enough people vote, Nov 2014 is very important to get some balance back since 2016 is a long way away and too much will be taken away from the people if we don't get a balance soon. We're fortunate we can speak out but how much longer is my fear.
  • John C Durham | | 22 Nov 2013, 09:12 AM Agree 0
    Freedom Fighter,

I thought everyone realized that Congress as a whole, Presidents past and present and thus at times, much of rest of the nation was stopped, while one narrow subject, usually unimportant to the majority of the citizens of the Nation, was considered.

This has been the case, over and over again, for the last almost 50 years during which all decorum has broken down in Congress and, this law, is the main cause why most people hate Congress, ie, it is the one "rule" (never encouraged in the Constitution in any way) that should have gone away, just like the stupid "law" (outright unconstitutional), also passed "a long time ago", that says we should vote (AGAIN, uh, didn't you jerks just pass all those funding provisions in all those laws when you passed them?) for a "debt" ceiling when, after all is said and done in double entry (true) accounting, the US has never been in actual "debt", never mind millions of star systems from ever being "insolvent".

So, just fighting for Freedom, Mr. Fighter for Freedom, by pointing out a major problem thought up long ago, by someone who should have been immediately thrown out of the Senate. An almost 2/3'rds majority is one thing when a nation is not under stress (like 3 million families out in the street, another 3 million phony home foreclosures to go?) now, with banks, big oil, big corporations, the war machine, closing in on an apparent plant to own everything in our Nation. But to support it now, for the nation to even function with so many subversive elected Congress men and a few women, such a rule is perfectly...well...

The Senate has made and thrown lots other rules in its lifetime and now when there are seldom joint committees meeting on issues and 13 appropriation bills to keep the government funded and entitlement bills, authorizing bills, etc., they had better keep working hard, with no time except to call donors on the phone, between times of mostly sloughing off so much that everyone knows what they've really been doing for a living...non stop...

Post a reply