Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Racial bias in home lending is helping fuel unrest in Milwaukee

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 18 Aug 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Segregation and racial bias in home lending is helping fuel civil unrest in cities like Milwaukee
  • Bob the Lender | | 18 Aug 2016, 12:10 PM Agree 0
    Another bunch of bullshit. Why would ANY lender take on unnecessary risk and lend to higher risk clients (regardless of color). I deny poor risk white people all the time too. Underwriting guidelines are in place to mitigate risk and loss, and it applies across the board to everyone, regardless of race.

Credit scores are a great predictor for example. If you have poor credit, you equal poor risk. If you have poor credit, how is that the lenders fault? High Debt-to-income ratio is high risk. If you don't make enough money, how is that the lenders fault? Low down payment is high risk. If you can't save for down payment, how is that the lenders fault?

Lenders are in business to make money, not lose money. Remember, CRA mortgages (community reinvestment mortgages) that force lenders to lend a mandated portion of their mortgages to high risk members of their community are the poorest performing mortgages and significantly contributed to the real estate meltdown.

Bottom line: No one is owned a home. prove you are worthy and lenders will line up all day long to lend to you.
  • | | 18 Aug 2016, 01:01 PM Agree 0
    Sir, I didn't see anything in this report saying anyone is owed a house or that the lenders should compromise on their lending standards.

The report indicates that people of EQUAL economic status and creditworthiness do not get EQUAL treatment by lenders. Study after study over decades has documented disparate treatment of people and that race has entered the equation much of the time.
  • Jobo Ohio | | 18 Aug 2016, 02:54 PM Agree 0
    CRA Mortgages, and the program pushed through by Pelosi and others has merit in Utopia, but we are not there. It forces lenders to lend to high risk borrowers...force feeding dairy to a lactose intolerant market with already stringent lending guidelines. And as a former Bond Trader/Analyst with 2 decades in this business I know for a fact that when you look at credit scores, income and race there is less stability and more single earner/single parent households which limit the borrowing options for African Americans. It is NOT race. Money is money and defaults hit markets hard. If you had unfiltered access to the tranche performance data and the lending variables used for tracking, you would then have the necessary information to analyze and see that this is a systemic problem in many inner cities. I could write a book on this subject and do work with attorneys nationwide, provide free continuing education to first time-homebuyers, peers, and bankruptcy debtors. As I tell my classes, just because you qualify for a home doesn't mean you are ready to buy one...especially when many still have open collections, no down payment and no reserves in case of emergency. No one is entitled or owed a home, but need to be treated equally...and if you have access to look at Moody's, SEC or Bloomberg data and are able to understand it you will see where the delinquency lies.

Race has never been an adverse factor in any financial or lending decision that I or any bank, lender, or broker office made during my 24 years. Borrowers need to educate themselves and understand their credit, costs involved, and their liability...and forget about those "rocket" mortgages. In this right now society, instant gratification and entitlement, borrowers need to save money and have a vested interest in their home. It's better for them in the long term, better for their communities and better for the market.
  • JustFactsNoSpin | | 18 Aug 2016, 02:54 PM Agree 0
    The studies that proport that their is lending discrimination have one major deficit. The HMDA reports do not include credit scores . Without this data point, the database from which NCRC and its ilk create their theories are useless and certainly deceptive. The credit scores are going to be captured in the new HMDA reports. With that data, we will learn if in fact the denials are based upon credit scores or if it is based upon a non credit factor such as discrimination.

Until then, please stop the deceptive claims of racial bias in denied mortgages.
  • | | 18 Aug 2016, 03:03 PM Agree 0
    You need to read the report. There are no controls for credit quality in the analysis done by NCRC. They are simply looking at counts of applications and mortgages by neighborhood demographics.
  • gh | | 18 Aug 2016, 06:33 PM Agree 0
    It's the hard truth, but well said jobo
Post a reply