Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Mortgage denials tied to race

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 18 Nov 2015, 06:15 AM Agree 0
A study has found a link between mortgage denials and the racial identity of the homebuyer in at least one major market
  • Rob | | 18 Nov 2015, 12:06 PM Agree 0
    I wonder if they compared credit, income, assets, and the conditions of the home, or did they just compare race?
  • The Truth | | 18 Nov 2015, 01:03 PM Agree 0
    Good luck finding an objective person (who bases criteria on anything other than being black) in a group called 'National Community Reinvestment Coalition'! Are the American people (finally) getting tired of the RACISM card being played any time there is money to be had??
  • NoSpinJustFacts | | 18 Nov 2015, 01:11 PM Agree 0
    I do not believe they have utilized the full information required for a true mortgage application including, income, assets, credit scores, and credit histories. I have never seen a report that sourced this information when making the conclusions provided in this article. Note they have not provided their sources so the public can review the data used.

This has been a historical problem when HMDA reports were used to make any valid claims on who and who was not receiving mortgage approvals. Without the full data used for making mortgage approval/denials and the pricing associated with each, the claims are not factual rather they are manipulated data outputs. Anyone who has ever done research knows that numbers certainly do lie when not fully disclosed on the method used to obtain results.
Post a reply