Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Jeb Bush takes up mortgage deductions

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 15 Sep 2015, 06:30 AM Agree 0
Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush has laid out a tax plan that seeks to limit what many politicians consider the third rail of deductions – mortgage interest
  • Griff | | 15 Sep 2015, 03:30 PM Agree 0
    Nothing here for Main Street. If you happen to have low income 2% max on interest deduction is a big loss for this group. Unless of course those folks go live in really cheaper houses.

As to standard deduction I've never gotten why a married couple gets twice what a single person gets. A single person has one income to pay rent/house payment, utilities, etc. Often a married couple has two incomes to do that. Standard deduction should be per household. Period. That would be fair.

Bush, true to form, marching in the army of Wall Street.

• bonnie453 | | 16 Sep 2015, 01:29 AM Agree 0
    I agree with above statement
  • No Brainer | | 16 Sep 2015, 10:17 AM Agree 0
    Doesn't Bush live in Florida? And doesn't Florida happen to be a state with no state tax filing? What a great idea to eliminate a deduction that has no effect to your tax return! IDIOT.

I also agree with the first comment. Low income earners just LOVE your idea of capping them. IDIOT.
  • John Wake | | 02 Oct 2015, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    This isn't going to play to mortgage professionals but more acceptable alternatives are 1) Limit mortgage interest deduction to primary residences only, or 2) put a dollar cap, not a percentage cap, on the deduction so the hated 1 percenters don't benefit more than the middle class.
Post a reply