Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HVCC MADNESS

Notify me of new replies via email
  • Another Legislator Moving to County Government? | | | 12 Jan 2010, 05:36 PM Agree 0
    [...] HVCC MADNESS | TNR Blog [...]
  • Tweets that mention HVCC MADNESS | TNR Blog -- Top | | 14 Jan 2010, 02:10 AM Agree 0
    [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by The Niche Report, Robert Pegg. Robert Pegg said: RT @Pegg02 HVCC MADNESS http://is.gd/69gzG [...]
  • Kenneth Cole | | 15 Jan 2010, 03:06 PM Agree 0
    Am I the only one that understands the car analogy? Who wouldn't rebel against such a ridiculous scenario, yet the shock of only seeing two responses is incredulous. Wake up people! We're being MADOFF'd!!
  • Steven H. | | 23 Jan 2010, 01:44 PM Agree 0
    Good analogy. One thing you left out is that the guy who does end up repairing your car, in most cases, does half-assed work because those are the only guys willing to work for 40% of the normal fee (which, by the way, was too low before HVCC.) The HVCC could actually work if they did 2 things: limit the percentage an AMC could take to a low number like 10%, and do actual reviews of appraisals to get rid of incompetency and fraud, because even if the HVCC goes away, the bad appraisers will still be stinking up the room.
  • LamarrBanks | | 24 Jan 2010, 08:46 AM Agree 0
    Hi Steven, Thanks for the response. The main issue is HVCC does not allow me to work as an independent entity. AMC''s already charge me 10% to use their portal, plus $20.00 to send my report into their portal so anything they charge on top of that is more profit for the banks at the expense of the appraiser. This in itself can lead to an implied control that the AMC has over the appraiser. Kind of defeats the purpose? The banks should pay for the services of an AMC, not the appraiser. The appraiser should not be connected to anyone, thus minimizing fraud. As it is now, the AMC's control when I get paid, how much I get paid, and who pays me! Is this free market enterprise that is looking out for the consumer? HVCC assumes all appraisers are fraudulent, based on how it takes away our ability to freely seek out clients that are Brokers, Realtors and lenders. HVCC is not the answer. Remember, it was an appraisal management company that caused Andrew Cuomo to think about an idea such as HVCC. It was not the work of independent appraisers that caused it. Regulate the AMC's, not the independent appraiser as we are already regulated by our individual states. Give me my right as an American to market my services to banks, lenders, Realtors and Brokers.

Sincerely,

Lamarr
  • Noelle | | 25 Jan 2010, 09:41 AM Agree 0
    Well said, Lamarr! An understanding of true value is the single most important component in any business transaction and especially one that requires debt - i.e a house and a mortgage. Creating a system to reduce the reliability of those valuations will only result in another devistation of the real estate market.
  • Appraiser Inactive | | 02 Feb 2010, 09:35 PM Agree 0
    Actually you missed one point. The customer is not paying top dollar (say $300); they are now paying around 50% more for their auto repair/appraisal.

For the record it's been known for yers in the world of organized crime as extorsion. [Keep up your monthly contributions to the "organization" and we will let you keep your business].

How can it be fixed? A strike would do the trick in no time flat but appraisers are too stupid to organize themselves.

Ex Appraiser
Post a reply