Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How Obama’s immigration reform could help housing

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 20 Nov 2014, 01:07 PM Agree 0
The President’s plan, which is expected grant legal status to millions of illegal immigrants, could help the nation’s fastest-growing demographic purchase homes.
  • Billyjimbob | | 20 Nov 2014, 01:33 PM Agree 1
    So I read your story and missed how the plan will help housing . Please explain this conclusion... Is it just that we will grow population and they need to live somewhere?
  • joe | | 20 Nov 2014, 01:33 PM Agree 0
    If they don't have to join America Legally then we should change our country's name to....The United States of Mexico.
  • Scott | | 20 Nov 2014, 01:41 PM Agree 0
    this article is such crap... !! all the illegals are not educated enough to afford a job that pays legitimate income.. then they will suck our welfare to pay for education and naturalized citizens will not benefit ,,, ugh
  • Alan Greenspan | | 20 Nov 2014, 01:46 PM Agree 0
    I couldn't agree more Scott! MPA is obviously out of good topics when they keep bringing in articles like this crap!
  • Dominick F. Sammarone | | 20 Nov 2014, 01:50 PM Agree 0
    lol lol lol… I also here that the new immigration bill may cure cancer and world hunger.
  • Perfparjer | | 20 Nov 2014, 01:56 PM Agree 1
    Neither MPA or NAR have spoken in any respect to support our laws under the Constitution. In fact what is the point of having one if all it applies to is history. I mean, who cares about or learns anything from history. I quit NAR when Benghazi Hillary was invited to speak at the 2013 NAR convention. That's when I learned that proximity (physically and metaphorically) to politicians spells trouble. Turning lawlessness into a housing opportunity is a creepy way to make a point.
  • krypton | | 20 Nov 2014, 02:18 PM Agree 0
    MPA, you are losing me here! The illegals are already living in houses. You mean it might help mortgage origination figures. Has there ever been a more self-serving logic. Let's do whatever we can to expand housing sales. Before it was foolish investment products and liberal Underwriting. And look where that led us. Please don't support this type of thinking, especially when it involves violating the constitution and glorifying the King at the top. I have a better idea, why don't we just expropriate Baja California and develop the land and leave all the illegals on terra-firma Baja California. It would suit us all well legally!
  • Brad | | 20 Nov 2014, 02:30 PM Agree 0
    You wrote "Play by the Rules" Really how do your grant these folks work permits without violating our Constitution. Stop the lies!!
  • brichards513 | | 20 Nov 2014, 02:33 PM Agree 0
    The part that I find particularly troubling is this paragraph:

In an August speech, Obama tied immigration reform to building a sustainable housing market. “When more people buy homes and play by the rules, home values go up for everybody."

If all of these Illegal and/or Undocumented individuals truly wanted to "play by the rules" - they would all go through the process of becoming a legal citizen of the USA. As a first generation American (my parents immigrated from Europe) - it annoy's me to see all of these people - who are breaking the law by the way - get off scott free while my parents had to work their tails off to come her legally! I have no problems with anyone wanting to come to America - but if you want all of the rights and privileges of being here - then you need to become a citizen of this country AND speak our language!
  • GracieLewis | | 20 Nov 2014, 02:38 PM Agree 0
    You are kidding aren't you? Did the Liar and Chief request you write this nonsense? Did you know that 20% of the American households who make $120,000 per year are paying all the taxes to cover all the cost of those who don't. What will happen when they say no more?. We already are taking care of way too many Americans who can't find jobs and now accept Social Security Disability. After receiving on average of $19,000 per year plus $1,000 for each dependent child in the household and don't pay taxes, we can't afford any more dead beats. Currently government programs like these cover 44 percent of the population in the United States.
    Let the newbies from Mexico, Central America and South America get in line, no help, find a job, no welfare or food stamps, pay their rent, no free housing assistance, learn English and speak it as a first language, do not have a criminal record or on drugs, then we can talk about opening the gates and welcoming them here. Until then we have existing immigration laws that need to be imposed.
  • WilliamS | | 20 Nov 2014, 02:39 PM Agree 0
    The posters attacking MPA for this story need to learn the difference between taking a position and just reporting the news.
  • | | 20 Nov 2014, 03:20 PM Agree 0
    Experienced in land development and real estate appraising for over 30 years; conclusion, the Obama surge would only drive up low income housing demand where a deficiency exists as of now. Many elderly needing such housing are on waiting lists that will never accommodate those who are currently registered before they die. The California bureaucracy is so busy tripping over itself pandering to illegal aliens that it has cut budgets for the elderly programs and is demanding higher tuition from American students so that it can subsidize free education for the illegals also.
    In the past there was easing of low income housing when the middle class created a move-up market from time to time, but the middle class has been eliminated. The problem with our social architects is that they failed Economics 101 and have no understanding of normal human nature.
    What is normal, one asks? If you have to ask that question you do have a problem!
  • | | 20 Nov 2014, 03:32 PM Agree 0
    There is no plan but to create more voters for a party that is panicking after the beating it suffered from the recent elections. There is no upside, there is no advantage for the USA, at all, from this scheme.
    The consequences are left to the American taxpayers to bear.
  • John Adams | | 20 Nov 2014, 03:33 PM Agree 0
    Better yet- Let's make all citizens of ALL the other Countries legal US citizens. I mean why have borders at all? right? why have laws at all or passports or drivers licenses. That's just mean and discriminatory. People should be able to come and squat here and have all the rights of Americans. And while we are at it how 'bout that shredding of the Constitution? I mean let's have a Emperor/King that writes laws by executive order. NO need for congress or the judiciary... It's all fine when your red or blue guy is in but the next time when it's the other sides turn and they really do whatever that king wants, it will be too late for the subjects to do anything... All I can say is you are nuts if you think this is O.K. this is NOT a republic anymore it's not representative democracy with a functioning constitution with an executive , legislative and judiciary branch where each branch of government is held in check by the others... If that doesn't disturb you then you really aren't paying attention.
  • | | 21 Nov 2014, 08:54 AM Agree 0
    WOW thats some sticker shock there. So let me get this straight. I am an a AMERICAN I lwas Born in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA in 1960 and I bought a home and had a mortgage and lost my home after over 2 decades to foreclosure, Was supposed to get a mortgage modification through the obama hamp plan. that never happend. That bail out money the banks got is gone, and i lost my home of 24 years and I am livid that the president is MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE STATUS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS coming to our country, than he is about our own homeless situation and foreclosure epidemic thats sweeping the country. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!! The part that really pisses me off is this BS about how this new plan allowing illegal immigrants to take over our country will help the housing market. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. THE PRESIDENT HAS LOST HIS MIND. GET REAL and help those people in the USA that are already established here before you go making crazy decisions to further destroy our country, MY COUNTRY. I have more right to this country than mexicans crossing the border. Its not right no matter how you look at it. Whats wrong with him. I feel left for dead and now I get to compete with a bunch of mexicans who are taking from our country. Interesting that they are already cutting funding for many benefits that existing americans rely on just to make ends meet. So how is it that the PRESIDENT thinks that more people SATURATING or America is going to help the housing marked. And why should we even care. WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE ALREADY HERE WHO HELPED MAKE AMERICA, WHAT IT IS TODAY. I am so dissapointed in this lame government, the banksters and the PRESIDENT that I voted for. HUGE MISTAKE. signed: DANA
  • Taikan | | 21 Nov 2014, 10:05 AM Agree 0
    It should come as no surprise that immigration reform would help the housing market. Not only would immigration reform provide workers here illegally with some stability, it also would enable those workers to enter into the types of transactions, such as buying a house, for which a lawful job providing a steady source of long-term income is necessary.
  • NedStark3 | | 21 Nov 2014, 10:13 AM Agree 0
    Anyone, especially young people, shouldn't be buying a house. It may be a very dumb idea. Our parents and grandparents did so because of the GI Bill and because they held jobs where they expected to stay for 30 years. That economy is long gone. Today's young people will change jobs and addresses many many more times than our parents and grandparents did.

There's no really good reason to buy a house before your kids start school, unless you are in the unusual position of having a very stable future at an early age.
  • janis eschmann | | 21 Nov 2014, 10:36 AM Agree 0
    i love mexico. i went to puerto vallarta on my honeymoon in 1973. also there food is good.

my duaghter used to have a crush on mario lopez.
  • ajv | | 21 Nov 2014, 03:25 PM Agree 0
    Maybe I want now to be classified also as an illegal immigrant. Who wants not to be an illegal when you get free housing accommodation, free food, free health care, free education, free money and even free sex pills/condoms. Everything is becoming free compared to when you are a naturalized citizen who went through the whole process and working hard busting your butt and pay all your taxes. Now tell me which one you want to become?
  • Mark | | 24 Nov 2014, 02:00 AM Agree 0
    Come on people, this is a country of immigrants! The immigrants that will be helped by the presidents plan will be able to buy homes and pay taxes. These people are already here so why not make it easier for them to contribute to this great nation? why would you not want people who risk everything to come to this country to work? and yes WORK, you ask any of these immigrants why they came to this country and they don't say oh I wanted the free stuff they have here including the free condoms as ajv stated. they say we came here to work hard for our families! I work with these people on a daily basis and boy do they work, whether its working the sweltering fields of California picking our fruits and vegetables that we all enjoy buying in our air conditioned grocery stores or working minimum wage jobs at our restaurants and hotels. I have yet to meet someone that tells me they are receiving any form of government assistance instead I hear stories of how they have 2 or 3 jobs just to put food on the table for their families and how their sons and daughters join the military in order to pay for their education. People that work hard and sacrifice everything in order to better their lives... sounds like an American to me!
  • ED | | 03 Dec 2014, 09:57 AM Agree 0
    I didn't know I worked in an industry with so many haters. Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment benefits - These are things that were accomplished by a bi-partisan America, when we actually cared about each other and didn't always ask " what's in it for me" An America before 24 hour news owned by billionaires , before elections and public opinion bought those same billionaires. We have become a really sad lot.

If you think Americans are cooking your meals , mowing your lawn , cleaning your homes , washing your car you are sadly mistaken. Send the brownish people home and watch the cost of these items double and triple . Then you'll really hear some crying and moaning.
Post a reply