Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Homeowners could pay more under Obama Fannie and Freddie plan

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 08 Aug 2013, 05:57 AM Agree 0
If President Barack Obama and Congress follow through with plans to shut down Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, homeowners could find their wallets a bit lighter each month
  • The Old Man | | 08 Aug 2013, 09:47 AM Agree 0
    Don't be misled. The government intent is to take 1 - 3% in fees on every mortgage for their quasi backing. Quoting Mr. Obama, "...lenders will pay a fee". They see the mortgage market as a "cash generator". They look at the 132 billion fannie has already paid back for the 183 billion bail out, and say, "wow!, this could be a gravy train, and the fees don't show up on any disclosure so the borrowers won't know they are getting ripped off. Note- when they added gse fees to offset the 2% reduction in ss withholding, did you see them reduce that gse fee when the withholding went back up?
  • JCRussell | | 08 Aug 2013, 09:51 AM Agree 0
    Unless I am missing something, on the Senate plan of Zandi's estimated $135/mo jump in interest expense, a $100,000 30 year mortgage at 4.00% would equate to a payment with a rate of nearly 6.25%. OR comparing to FHA, equal to an annual MIP factor of 1.62% which is presently higher than FHA's. Not a pretty picture.....
  • Roger | | 08 Aug 2013, 09:53 AM Agree 0
    Never trust the government's estimation of cost, its almost always low. Just look at the cost of Medicare prescription drug benefits, over estimates by 400% and then there's Obamacare that looks to be at least 300% over budget and it hasn't even gone into effect.

What will happen if they dismantle Fannie and Freddie is that new home ownership will come to a halt and the ripple effects of decreased housing spending will cause us to drop back into recession.

I really don't think anyone in Washington has thought this through.
  • Sam T | | 08 Aug 2013, 10:37 AM Agree 0
    If you believe, that consumers wallets are going to be "a bit lighter", and will only see a "small increase" in their payments... then I have the proverbial bridge in New Jersey to sell to congress and Obama. Once again, the consumer will get the shaft.. the banks will eek out of this ....
  • Sam T | | 08 Aug 2013, 03:50 PM Agree 0
    Has anyone in Washington thought this through? Of course they have, otherwise how are they going to pad their own wallets even more. There is going to come a day... a day that ... well, use your imagination here!
  • Bayview Mortgage Inc. | | 09 Aug 2013, 12:54 AM Agree 0
    It would take 30 years to dismantle fannie and freddie. They need to combine both programs, form a new secretary of fannie and freddie and cut all the million dollar employees down to government capped paychecks.
Post a reply