Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Holder: No company ‘too big to jail’

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 05 May 2014, 01:00 PM Agree 0
The Justice Department will be pursuing criminal charges against various big banks in the coming weeks and months, the attorney general says
  • Dan | | 05 May 2014, 01:03 PM Agree 0
    Is the US government to big to jail? Evidently so.
  • Joe T | | 05 May 2014, 01:09 PM Agree 0
    It is about time. Some of the COO of the major banks shot off their moths that it was the little guys that caused tha mortgage world to crumble. remember this the little guys did not create product and we shuley did not package the mortgage and sell them to out clients. Holder is finally looking in the right direction and don't forget those honest rating companies .
  • DS | | 05 May 2014, 01:14 PM Agree 0
    I second Dan.
  • Lou | | 05 May 2014, 01:31 PM Agree 0
    It's great that criminal actions will be prosecuted in this case but I jade to laugh at the AG assertion that the DOJ "always follows the law and the facts wherever they lead". He's ignored more cases of law breaking than any 10 AGs combined, at the direction of his boss, the POTUS!
  • Mendota | | 05 May 2014, 01:53 PM Agree 0
    Yawn and roll eyes. What about the actions of the mega bail out banks and Wall Street firms that brought us to the brink of financial ruin? Where are all of the charges?

These companies were literally driven into the ground and made insolvent. They would have closed down. The govt steps in and hands them billions of dollars. The companies, who were insolvent the day before, then immediately take hundreds of millions and pay themselves bonuses with it. They claim these were contractually obligated bonuses and were agreed to years before. That makes no sense. Without the bailout money, no bonuses could have been paid as the companies were RUINED by these same individuals.

This was theft. Where are the charges?
  • Bill | | 05 May 2014, 02:04 PM Agree 0
    But Holder seems to be above the law: has he not been held in contempt of Congress? He seems to be 'too big to jail"; I wonder if I were held in comtempt of congress, I could just ignore it?
    This is just the OBAMA mentality of going after anyone that has some deep pockets to fund the gov't GIVE AWAYS. And, I don't work for the banks!
  • Jana | | 05 May 2014, 02:37 PM Agree 0
    Mendota: Theft?? The Government mortgageed them money and most have paid it all back. What was stolen? (No, I dont work for the banks)
  • Cheryl M | | 05 May 2014, 03:22 PM Agree 0
    Is that why people at Chase are jumping out high rise buildings around the world?
  • John McCormick | | 05 May 2014, 03:44 PM Agree 0
    Dan has it right!
  • Wm Matz | | 05 May 2014, 05:01 PM Agree 0
    Holder seems to have forgotten that it was just months ago that the AG said that they were afraid to bring criminal charges because it might take down the financial system. Now it's suddenly OK. What changed? May this is a new version of "Wag the Dog" to divert attention from other failures. Regardless, there are plenty of crimes to prosecute, beginning with the millions of felonies from the robosigning scandal and Wells Fargo's manual for attorneys to fabricate mortgage documents for foreclosure.
  • Sharon | | 06 May 2014, 01:40 PM Agree 0
    Holder needs to jail himself.
  • Steve | | 06 May 2014, 06:18 PM Agree 0
    Dan has it right. All we have to do is look at the biggest Ponzi scheme ever...a.k.a. Social Security. Then Hillary Clintons lies and subterfuge about the Libyan incident...Heck lets go back to her husband telling America to their face, "You listen to me. I did not have sexual relations with Mrs Lewinsky." I could go on and on but do I need to? No wonder Americans are so jaded and distrustful of our government.
  • Gordon Schlicke | | 07 May 2014, 12:12 PM Agree 0
    Two things need watching: (1) Did they prove the intent to defraud? - were "market forces" ignored; and (2) if convictions occur were sentencing guidelines followed?
  • Debbie | | 08 May 2014, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    2 Big to Jail? Funny how we all are reminded of two characters daily whenever we are doing our jobs. They too, were to Big to Jail. Of course I am talking about Angelo's friend, Mr Dodd and his pal Barney with connections to Freddie Mac. Why don't we start with them? After all, were they not responsible to oversee the Big Boys?
  • ron l | | 18 May 2014, 11:32 AM Agree 0
    everybody move to china...../ there money is worth more than brittish pounds... give thanks for all the bushs that held us offices, jeb bush robbing the savings and mortgages in colorado... your next us president....
Post a reply