Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Fugitive mortgage scammer nabbed by Marshals

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 06 Sep 2013, 06:03 AM Agree 0
U.S. Marshals have arrested a man they say was behind a mortgage scheme that stole millions from the elderly and non-English speaking Hispanics
  • JPS | | 06 Sep 2013, 12:07 PM Agree 0
    I have -o- tolerance for elder abuse - period. However, in the case of the Hispanic community, we see this kind of fraud all the time; basically the reliance upon the verbal tradition of doing business within that culture helps to facilitate the scams amoung their community. Solution: join American society and educate yourselfs.
  • Evelyn Santiago | | 07 Sep 2013, 06:58 AM Agree 0
    Unfortunately, this is very true. I have had to tell so many Hispanics that I meet that they don't have to pay $600-$3000 to 3rd parties to do short sales, mortgage modifications that never get anything done etc.

I had one 3rd party negotiator on a mortgage modification threaten to sue me when I told their client to call the bank to make sure the paperwork was being submitted.

When I told him to go ahead and sue me since the only thing I was doing was giving his clients free advise on how to make sure he was doing his job he magically disappeared.

The new immigrants that come here and speak little to no English are very vulnerable. They are used to paying just to have papers translated for them which I have been doing for years for free!

I can't tolerate this type of behavior by those that should know better and are licensed professionals both mortgage and real estate! Hope they keep catching more of them!
  • Jg | | 07 Sep 2013, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    JPS--you are a dumb ass. This type of scams happens in every community, not just among Hispanics.
  • MH | | 08 Sep 2013, 03:08 AM Agree 0
    First of all JPS learn how to spell yourselves.
    Secondly NO ONE has the right to take advantage of another. Rodriguez is where he belongs.
  • JPS | | 08 Sep 2013, 02:52 PM Agree 0
    OK spelling police (MH), u get the spelling bee award - However, as to the veracity of my point - E. Santiago confirms my experience in dealing with SOME of the Hispanic community ( not all ). I spent three years working with the Santa Ana police (Economic crimes division) as well as the DRE crisis response team, to help bring multiple Spanish speaking fraudsters to justice who had victimized my Hispanic clients in various illegal scams.
  • JPS | | 08 Sep 2013, 03:06 PM Agree 0
    Oh, and JG.. "dumb ass" really? Evidently your talking points are borrowed from Beavis and must be a real professional. lol
  • Herman Thordsen | | 08 Sep 2013, 08:15 PM Agree 0
    The best advice to give ;your clients is if the person wants money up front before performing, look elsewhere.
  • I Helppeople | | 15 Apr 2014, 11:49 AM Agree 0
    The person taking advantage of people was Marquez NOT Jose Benjamin Rodriguez. A lot of people were arrested, even secretaries?!!
  • luz maria contreras | | 09 Sep 2014, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    son unos ladrones,, todo es manejado por rene w solis y susana vasquez,,, las piranas mayores ,, hermanos zepeda,, hector menendez,, franklin marquez el cabesilla de las vegas nevada ,, dejenlos en prision q paquen,,, todo el dolor q causaron a todas esas personas q las an dejado sin casas,, y sin dinero
Post a reply