Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

From the Forum: Should Fannie and Freddie go?

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 10 Sep 2014, 08:27 AM Agree 0
A report that shutting down Fannie and Freddie could save billions had MPA readers talking. Here's what they had to say
  • Bill Jacobs | | 10 Sep 2014, 09:46 AM Agree 0
    Those of us who were involved in this business during the 1979-82 debacle when interest rates on home mortgages reached 16% interest rates, do remember that FNMA had been weakened by Federal interference, FHLMC was S&L's primarily, and the commercial banks ruled the market. I would not want to see the existing commercial "big" banks come forward again as the hero(s) of this vital industry. The profit motive reigns supreme in their eyes, as it should, but both of the GSE's have dual motivations, profit yes, public duty and responsibilties also yes.
  • Cheryl m | | 10 Sep 2014, 10:10 AM Agree 0
    I also remember Freddie and Fannie were private at one point until the government got involved (because of the "big" banks) now that they're making money the government is taking the profits. If the government wants out, then make f&f private.
  • Daniel H. | | 16 Sep 2014, 01:21 PM Agree 0
    The drive to eliminate F&F is being pushed by the same banks that caused the financial meltdown in the first place. They are just drooling at the prospect that they could end up with F&F's business. Talk about too big to fail.
Post a reply