Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

From political refugee to top originator

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 15 Oct 2013, 05:39 AM Agree 0
After arriving in the US as a political refugee aged 16, Dan Milstein overcame incredible odds to not only succeed in the mortgage industry but also become the country’s number one mortgage officer
  • eric | | 15 Oct 2013, 12:17 PM Agree 0
    I would double check those employment numbers... When I was laid off(along with 30 others) from this company two months ago there was less than 130 and declining. There was another round of layoffs two weeks after I was laid off. Not sure how many were in that round. If you want your article to be correct you should use the correct numbers from paychecks and not what Milstein gave you.
  • NoSpinJustTheFacts | | 16 Oct 2013, 02:20 PM Agree 0
    I wonder if Mr. Milstein's brilliant marketing of making things appear other than what they really are is rooted in this article???

Please, can anyone provide a company name closing $1B+/yr that is not a marketing gimmick? The high pressure boil maker sell is the hallmark of Quicken Loans and its predecessor Rock Financial. Could any of these companies survived without advertising? Their success based referral only clients?
  • AllLies | | 17 Oct 2013, 08:51 AM Agree 0
    The company had 125 mortgage officers [at HQ] in Jan 13'. Now in October 13' there are less than 20 LO's left in the corporate HQ. The entire company is nothing but smoke and mirrors to make Milstein feel bigger than life.
  • Michele | | 17 Oct 2013, 09:10 AM Agree 0
    This is ture he did come from Soviet Union and became successful. My question is how happy are his employees. From my understanding not very happy. With layoffs left and right. Some of the most experiance people were let go due to issues with company. People with less experiance and little training are left and are expected to function as if they have been in the business for years. Training has always been an issue and management. Managers in positions that have not one clue about what they are doing. All Sales minded forgetting that sales and their greed is what took the non-conforming division down in 2006-2009 . Not knowing guidelines is a major reason for unexperiance people to fail. Loan officers and processor with no knowlege of how to calculate income, read a credit report correctly and completing simple disclosures and applications. Lets ask the employees who work there and who have been let go what they think.
  • Willie | | 17 Oct 2013, 08:34 PM Agree 0
    I worked for Dan and Gold Star Mortgage for over five years. I learned alot from Dan and I am thankful for the time I spent with the company, it was just time for me to spread my wings and go out on my own and take on a new challenge. Lets all be honest the mortgage industry has its ups and downs and recently it has had a major down turn over the past 6 months. Most of the major banks have laid off thousands of workers, downsizing does occur in this industry and people leave companies to test the waters at other companies its business. Those that know me know I keep it real I would not be were I am as a Branch Manager/Branch Owner without Dan Milstien and Rick Richter. Even though we went our separate ways I wish my GSM family only the best. The facts are the facts I can still call Dan at 11 pm at night and he would take my call he has for 5+ years.
  • Kevin | | 19 Oct 2013, 09:29 AM Agree 0
    I work at Dan's company. That is true that some people were laid off but which mortgage company or a bank didn't? We have well over 30 offices nationally and 450 total employees. Loans are coming in and customers are happy. We close mortgages under 20 days. For the most part everyone is happy. Management is doing a good job. Dan hosts number of one on one and departmental lunches. I am also excited to be on newly created Presidents council where I will be the voice of my department. Where else can you walk in to the CEO's office and speak your mind or better yet call his cell phone late at midnight and he answers? Gold Star never had a sub prime division. We have always been an A paper company. Btw, some recent lay offs have been called back to work.
  • B B | | 19 Oct 2013, 09:44 AM Agree 0
    I've worked for Dan for over 5 years now. His story is a great one for sure. Considering all his accomplishments and his genius, the guy is down to earth. I had lunch with him and a few other employees last week and as usual I was impressed with his vision and his approach to our current rate market. I read some of the other comments and it would seem like they may not see the entire picture. Dan has been amazing to work for and my family and I are grateful for the past 5 years.
  • Bobby V. | | 21 Oct 2013, 07:44 AM Agree 0
    I worked for Dan in the past. Although I left to pursue other opportunities in the same industry, I only have good things to say about him. It is true when the comments above say that he will answer his phone at midnight to help you out. He is a genuine man first and a great CEO second. Dan also takes care of his own. Rewarding those for their hard work and offering a competitive compensation plan. Everyone in the finance industry is hurting right now. The ones who are complaining haven't been in the industry long enough to realize it is one big roller coaster ride. Don't take that out on Dan because you weren't mentally tough enough for the industry.
  • Dave P | | 21 Oct 2013, 02:03 PM Agree 0
    I do not know Dan Personally but he runs a great company. I enjoy working for a company that takes care of its employees and is committed to its clients.
  • Brad | | 21 Oct 2013, 03:55 PM Agree 0
    I am proud to say that I have worked for Dan and Gold Star as a branch manager for the last 6 years. Under Dan's leadership, I have seen my branch increase volume over 400%. He is frequently visiting branches and spends unlimited time one on one with his people. He also provides free seminars and signs books for my realtors. I can't say anything negative about the company. How can you when you have great rates and 1 day underwriting turn times. Man answers his cell 24/7.
Post a reply