Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Cop pleads guilty in mortgage scheme

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 30 Nov 2015, 06:30 AM Agree 0
A former police officer who just last year was honored for his work, has pleaded guilty to fraud charges
  • Tom s. | | 05 Oct 2016, 07:57 PM Agree 0
    http://www.post-gazette.com/local/south/2016/10/05/Federal-trial-opens-for-South-Hills-man-charged-in-massive-mortgage-fraud-scheme/stories/201610050215
  • Martin f. | | 05 Oct 2016, 08:00 PM Agree 0

Subscribe
    ACCOUNT
    Login
    Register
    SECTIONS
    HOME
    BREAKING NEWS
    NEWS
    LOCAL
    SPORTS
    OPINION
    A & E
    LIFE
    BUSINESS
    VIDEOS
    PHOTOS
    CLASSIFIEDS
    OBITUARIES
    JOBS
    CARS
    ARCHIVES
    REAL ESTATE
    CLASSIFIEDS
    EVENTS
    PG STORE
    PG BLOGS
    COMMUNITY VOICES
    EARLY RETURNS
    PG PLATE
    POWERSOURCE
    SPORTSTOWN
    STAFF BLOGS
    THE DIGS
    CONTACT US / FAQ
    CONTACT US
    ADVERTISING

v.2.5

Federal trial opens for South Hills man charged in massive mortgage fraud
    October 5, 2016 12:17 PM
    By Torsten Ove / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A federal prosecutor today told a jury that the government will show that James Nassida orchestrated a massive mortgage fraud scheme at his company, Century III Home Equity, in the years before the housing-bubble collapse of 2008 and used the money to finance his fancy lifestyle.

Mr. Nassida and his sister, Janna Nassida, the former No. 2 at the defunct South Hills firm, will be on trial before U.S. District Judge Donetta Ambrose for the next two weeks in a case that features some 40 witnesses and boxes of financial documents so voluminous that Assistant U.S. Attorney Brendan Conway prepared a PowerPoint presentation for his opening argument to keep it as streamlined as possible.

"They are guilty as charged," Mr. Conway said of the Nassidas, as federal agents in the back of the courtroom looked on. "And we're going to prove it."

ADVERTISEMENT

The case against Mr. Nassida has been building for two years as his underlings have pleaded guilty one after another in deals to testify against their old boss.

Agents with the mortgage fraud task force say Mr. Nassida, who started Century III in 1994 and at one point employed 30 people processing 700 mortgages a year, headed a conspiracy that used fake appraisals and other documents to fool lenders into making millions of dollars in fraudulent mortgages. Janna Nassida was his right-hand woman in the fraud.

Mr. Conway said the motive was greed.

He said Mr. Nassida owned a $1.3 million house, a vacation home in Seven Springs and drove high-end cars, including an Aston Martin.

"I didn't even know what an Aston Martin was," Mr. Conway told jurors, "but apparently it's the car that James Bond drives."

They can fetch over $200,000.

Mr. Conway said the Nassida motto was simple: "We do what it takes to get the mortgage closed."

But whatever it takes included breaking the law, according to the government.

While Mr. Conway detailed complex mortgage deals in a presentation that lasted more than an hour, Mr. Nassida's lawyer, Stan Levenson, focused on Mr. Nassida's personal life and character, saying his client is an expert in his field who ran a successful company before it went belly-up in 2008.

He promised that Mr. Nassida will put up a fight against Mr. Conway, whom he called one of the best mortgage fraud prosecutors in the United States.

"He's prepared to face Mr. Conway," said Mr. Levenson. "Jim will be answering every question that the government has for him."

He also said the government's witnesses, many of them former Century III mortgage officers who have pleaded guilty in the last two years, cannot be trusted because they cut deals with U.S. attorney's office.

"They all have an overwhelming reason to lie," he said.

Torsten Ove: tove@post-gazette.com.

• henry | | 05 Oct 2016, 09:39 PM Agree 0
    Hello everyone, I am Henry.

It's the programmed ATM card that can hack into all ATM machines. It
    works with any currency and in any country where you might be living.
    Its is programmed in a way that when transaction is carried out with
    the card ,it can't be traced. To make use of this card ,you need no
    account number or even pin of anyone. Its simple because there is a
    manual attatched that teaches usage ,and also give more explanation
    concerning the card." So friends,its a new year and a new beginning.
    If you need funds to start up some busines,pay up bills and mortgages or
    money to live a good life? Then you gat to make this opportunity
    yours. Though it's illegal as you and I know ,but since government can't
    satisfy everyone needs, I have to do what I have to do,to get what I
    want and for my family to be happy and everyone at large to be the
    same ..Though this post is not for everybody,but for those who truly
    need change from a poor state to a wealthy life.
    however you can get one for sure in less than 3 days risk free and
    guaranteed delivery. You should all know that this ATM card is not for free. I had to find a way to buy it before it was delivered to me. So, don't
    waste your time expecting it for free.
    I contacted this email address which got mine delivered to me
    after paying for it; Atmmachine111@gmail.com
Post a reply