Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Congress passes mortgage reporting regulations in highway bill

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 31 Jul 2015, 02:30 PM Agree 0
New mortgage reporting requirements have been added to a highway funding bill that has passed both houses
  • Bob | | 31 Jul 2015, 02:50 PM Agree 0
    I like the statement about how much money will be raised for the government, NOT!
  • c burns | | 31 Jul 2015, 02:55 PM Agree 0
    interesting - so the IRS will be able to match up mortgage interest reported by the lender against the borrower filed returns, yet the irs still has not figured out how to stop the billions of dollars of identity theft for tax refund fraud by matching W-2's filed by employers against a bogus tax return. this should prove to be interesting.
  • Joan | | 31 Jul 2015, 03:15 PM Agree 1
    I have always found the idea that Congress can lump other items in bills that do not pertain to one another very troublesome.....
  • | | 31 Jul 2015, 03:26 PM Agree 0
    This has now reached a level where a serious push back in necessary. FACT is most mortgage fraud comes from the borrower (Main St. Little Guy) always has as would be the case here. Fine. Allow the Banks, Mortgage Bankers and Mortgage Brokers a $2,500 separate fee taken to cover the cost of all this reporting. The government only has the right to go after wrongdoers. They don't have the right to literally burden a business with the cost of tasks that are in a 180 degree opposition to their mission statements - make a profit. Let the taxpayers pay this, put it on them, all these nonsenses. And it will all end. Cause they'll vote it into oblivion when they are charged with cleaning up the mess they created.
  • Confused? | | 31 Jul 2015, 03:30 PM Agree 0
    Confused?? I thought that was why home owners received a 1098 from the lender each year so the IRS could match it up? Need a new bill to add to the lenders burden because the IRS is not doing their job?? Wow makes soooo much sense.
  • Jim | | 31 Jul 2015, 11:51 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Joan. We need a Constitutional Amendment that makes them vote on things individually. Or in individual categories of things so they can't slip things in and so we now what they are doing and they know what they are voting on. Also to help stop their corrupt deal making.
  • RAE | | 01 Aug 2015, 09:30 AM Agree 0
    I always find it interesting when a Bill gets passed through deceptive means i.e. hiding it in another totally unrelated Bill that is suppose to do with fraud against the government and yet hiding a Bill within a totally unrelated Bill is not Fraud?
  • JCH | | 03 Aug 2015, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    WHY DOESN'T CONGRESS OPERATE IN THE SUNSHINE. IT HAS BEEN A POLICY TO TAG UNRELATED BILLS ONTO
    OTHER BILLS. SMACKS OF FRAUD AND COVERUP. CALL IT LIKE IT IS....WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO TRUTH & HONESTY?
  • Duncan | | 05 Aug 2015, 01:59 PM Agree 0
    Joan..., it IS troublesome; just as many other practices by what are laughingly referred to as "the peoples' representatives", but trying to get them to rein themselves in is like asking the Fox to turn the lights out in the chicken coop when he leaves.
  • Duncan | | 05 Aug 2015, 02:19 PM Agree 0
    "...FACT is most mortgage fraud comes from the borrower (Main St. Little Guy) always has as would be the case here..."; total nonsense...!!
  • MoJo Scott | | 11 Aug 2015, 06:11 PM Agree 0
    How about also making them report payment history in all cases. Now that banks are reaffirming less and less mortgages, they are not reporting YEARS of on time payments for borrowers which is shorting their on-time payment history and preventing them from being able to refi or buy in some cases. When payments resume, these lenders should HAVE to report the payments.
Post a reply