Mortgage Professional America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

A Tough Decision

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Professional America | 19 Feb 2010, 03:21 PM Agree 0
In the coming weeks, I will be blogging about my life as well as other appraisers and how, because of HVCC, it has changed.
  • Dave the Appraiser | | 19 Feb 2010, 11:15 PM Agree 0
    Lamarr...
    I am an appraiser with about the same time in grade as you. I have operated my own appraisal business since 2006, after having worked for two other 'shops.'

With all due respect to you, I must be doing something very wrong and perhaps you can help me.

Would you share with me how you can research and write up an appraisal report in "2 hours per appraisal" as you mention in your blog post.

What am I missing? Or maybe I should ask 'what are you not including?' My peers and I in my area typically take 6+ hours to complete a report...after doing the requisite inspections in the field. And most of us do only 1 assignment a day, not the 'up to 3' you mention. But then again, we are in suburban/rural areas where driving distances are increased.

I'd really love to see one of your reports, and out of courtesy to you, I will send you one of mine. We can do peer reviews of each other's reports and maybe can learn from each other.

This is a serious request, so I'd love to hear from you. Use dtowne (at) fidalgo [dot] net to contact me.

Thanks and best regards.
    Dave
  • LamarrBanks | | 20 Feb 2010, 01:08 PM Agree 0
    Hi Dave,

I appreciate your concern. Many fellow appraisers become sensitive to an appraiser's claim to how much time it takes to do a report. The 2 hours I mentioned is in addition to the time needed. I did write "an additional 2 hours per appraisal". The 3 per day means the day after is reserved for typing and research. So maybe I should have stated up to 9 appraisals in a 7 day period? I didn't mean to imply that I am so much faster than anyone or that I "cut and paste".

I hope this clears up the confusion. I will be more precise in describing time needed in the future. And yes, I am surrounded by the greater L.A. area, so my driving time may be a little less than what you experience.

From one fellow appraiser to another, I do not wish to get into a comparison of one appraisers work to another. I respect how other professional appraisers do their work. My writing here in this blog is my opinion of the market place, the unfair practices taking place in regards to the ability of appraisers to obtain work and how we as a group are affected.

This blog is simply my opinion. And I thank you for responding, and clarifying the need for me to be clear on time spent on appraisal work.

Thank You Dave!
Post a reply